Mold Camera Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Mold Camera Club
Mold Camera Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighting the sleep

3 posters

Go down

Fighting the sleep Empty Fighting the sleep

Post by Gill Henry Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:25 am

Okay, thought I'd ask for feedback of this pick I took of a friend's baby, I've turned it to black and white to give it more of a mood plus the colours of the mat the baby was on were really distracting, any comments and feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

Fighting the sleep Caiden10
Gill Henry
Gill Henry

Back to top Go down

Fighting the sleep Empty Re: Fighting the sleep

Post by Mike Catania Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:33 am

Hi Gill,
glad you are posting images for critique.

You have done a nice job converting to mono and I can see why. Even in mono the matt is distracting. I love the knackered gaze he has on you. Really cute.Smile 

My biggest concern is the viewpoint. From directly above, he looks like he is standing but obviously isn't. Actually he might be about to do a gig! Seems a bit unnatural to me. this is emphasised even more by the way you have lit him. If you look the light is coming from his feet area, so it is hitting his face from the chin. This accentuates his head form. You know how to scare kids you can turn the lights off and put a torch under your chin. You have a slight case of that here unfortunately. Next time ask mum for a plain blanket to hide the mat and look at the light. Hope that helps, it is intended to.
Mike Catania
Mike Catania
Admin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/veritaimages/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pammy Sheldon Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:48 am

Hiya Gill,

It's very crisp and clear so well done you.

I am no expert but after a few dodgy attempts at photographing my goddaughter I realised that I needed a very shallow depfh if field. This softens up the image and is more appealing for babies, in my view. I agree with Mikes comments also and I raides my friends baby presents for some nice plain blankets Smile

Hope that helps Smile and I'm sure everyone has their own preferences but it is nice a clear and I bet the mum loves it Smile
Pammy Sheldon
Pammy Sheldon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gill Henry Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:58 pm

Yes I can see what both of you are saying now, I wasn't sure of the photo myself but did like it, yes mum is happy with it, glad she's not a photographer lol.
Thank you both for the feedback, much appreciated Very Happy 
Gill Henry
Gill Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pammy Sheldon Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:01 pm

As long as the parents are pleased that's all that matters. And I have just been asked to photograph a friends baby due very soon with a greater depth of field lol
She wants me to recreate a photo she has seen which I don't like but she does so hey ho haha Smile
Pammy Sheldon
Pammy Sheldon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum